Wrecking + Colorado

Dearest Super Koala,

I don’t even know if I know how to do this anymore! I haven’t posted in FOREVER. This post is going to strictly be my wrecking for this week and many pictures and accounts from my adventures in Colorado.

This week I was only able to complete one postcard because all of the other ones need more planning.


At first I thought it was going to be really lame, but some of the outcomes are really hilarious.


A few of my favorites are: Biodegradable Flower Computer, Quintessential Mud Shower, and Flamboyant Bird Chair.

For my wrecking, I was able to complete two.

IMG_0812 IMG_0813

IMG_0814 IMG_0815

I think they turned out pretty well. I could have gotten the page a lot blacker, but I got tired of it and was afraid a bug was going to attack me for disturbing its home. As for my super happy grass hear, I think he is adorable. I will call him Heath. Also, I really love our yard. It is always so nice looking and well kept, thanks to our Father, so that is where I got the grass from. No other grass is worthy to be in my wrecking book. Unless it is European grass, but seeing as I do not have access to that, I will have to stick with what I’ve got. Also, I think I am developing spring time allergies. I have sneezed and blown my nose so many times today that it hurts. So sad days for that.

Now on to my super Colorado post!

So for those of you who don’t know. I was in Colorado Springs last week for a band trip. We left on Wednesday after school and didn’t get back until Sunday evening. When we got there on Thursday, the first thing we did was visit the Olympic Training Center.

IMG_0749 IMG_0742

The first picture is the view down one of the roads that is lined with flags from countries across the world. It was a really pretty scene with the mountains in the background. The picture on the right is Shan and I in a real bobsled. We were the first ones to take a picture in it! After us, there was a line to get in it that didn’t die down until our actual tours started, so it is a good thing we got in. For our tour, a guide took us around to different buildings. We got to see the shooting range, the wrestling room, a couple of weight rooms, and the pool. While we were looking at the pool Ryan Lochte was swimming in it which is pretty cool.

After the Training Center we had a couple of hours to walk around the Garden of the Gods. If you don’t know what it is, it is a public park with amazing rock formations and trails. It is really REALLY cool, and if I ever go back to that area, I would definitely visit again.

DSCN0025 DSCN0036 DSCN0050

We had so much fun climbing all over the smaller formations and seeing the fantastic bigger ones. Then, on our way to the hotel, I saw the best billboard ever.


It is just nice to know that Colorado is making sure I know all of the rules. I also saw many motel signs that said they were 4:20 friendly.

After a quick change in the hotel, we went to dinner and the show. Our dinner was at Fargo’s Pizza. I am Pizza spoiled, so it wasn’t that great, but it was food and greatly welcomed after a long day. Our show was Mamma Mia. This was the first time that I have seen it, and it was so good. I really enjoyed it, especially the end when Dad got up and started dancing.

The next day was a bright and early start at the United States Air Force Base. We had a clinic with their band leader and individual section master classes with someone from their band that plays the same instrument. It was really cool to get some one on one (or at least in my case one six on one time) with someone who is considered to be a professional at the same instrument that I play, especially because I am thinking about possibly joining a military band. The clinic was really great and they said that we were one of the most advanced bands that had ever come to work with them.

After that we went to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. They are ancient Native American homes that we could crawl through and explore. It was pretty cool to see the size of the rooms they lived in. Most of them were really small, and I have a feeling they had to duck a lot.


This is a picture of me looking out one of the windows in their house.

Also at the Cliff Dwellings, there was this mechanical horse that Mr. P thought would be a good idea to ride, however, you can tell by his face how he really felt.


Then we went to the Cave of the Winds. We got a tour and then we got to do this zip line thing and a ropes course that hung over the edge of the mountain.


The little spikey things in this picture are covered by wire because if you touch them they are poisons and you would have to get acid poured on the wound site to get the poison out. Our tour guide said that last month he accidentally hit his head on one.


This is a cave garden. It looks like a little village, but you can’t really see it all that well in my picture.


This formation was up in a little hole and it is called the giants bleeding heart. All of the lines running down make it look like veins, and the red color is natural.


The last formation we saw was this one, and it looks like Oogie-Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas!


This is the ropes course that we went on, and if you can’t tell, the picture is of me and my friend Titanicing. We Titaniced so many times throughout the trip. It was great.


This is me and Shan on the zip line. The picture is really blurry, but it is because we were moving super fast.

When we finished at the cave, we went to a dinner theater for another dinner and show night. The dinner was once again just okay, and the show was once again awesome. However, it was awesome for very different reasons. It was a melodrama, so basically it was so bad and cheesy that it was fantastic.

On our last day, we once again woke up super early and then took the Cog Railway up Pikes Peak. Even though we have already been up Pikes Peak, we definitely missed out the first time not taking the train up. It was so cool, and it went through the woods, so it was a lot prettier than going up the road. We were super lucky that we got to go because the day before was the first day that they were able to go up since December because of all the snow. My friends decided to get super artsy with our photo, but I think it turned out really cool.


We also saw this guy that was attempting to ski down the side! We got to talk to him while he was preparing. He is attempting to ski down all 56 mountains over 10,000 feet in Colorado and so far he has completed 38. He is my hero.


Also, we met these hikers that hiked up the mountain that morning and started the trek at 1:30 IN THE MORNING!!!! Also heroes. I didn’t get many good photos at the top of Pikes Peak because my camera dies.

Once we got down, we had like five minutes to get to the high school for the competition. Needless to say, we were late, but the people were very nice and let us push our time back. Once it was all over we wound up getting a gold rating for wind symphony, an gold rating for symphonic band, a silver rating for jazz 1, and a bronze rating for jazz 2. All in all, it was a really great trip, and a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Especially after the band trip to beat all band trips last year at Hawaii.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s